DTE Energy Facility Technician in Santa Clarita, California
Job Title: Facility Technician
Sunshine Gas Producers*
Location: Santa Clarita, California
To operate and maintain the landfill gas to energy (LFGTE) facility using safe operating practices and in a
manner which meets environmental regulations while optimizing the financial results of the project. The Facility consists of five Mercury 50 turbines producing approximately 4MW a piece.
Conduct day-to-day operation, maintenance and repair of the landfill gas to energy facility. Operate equipment
in compliance with all local, state and federal regulations. Perform equipment inspections, tests and
operational checks. Monitor landfill gas collection system performance. Prepare reports on results and
performance metrics. Work is performed under general supervision of the Facility Manager.
- Principal Duties and Responsibilities*
• Professional representation of DTEBE to landfill host, customer, regulators, etc.
• Operate facility as defined by various contractual obligations
• Perform minor electrical, mechanical and pipeline repairs
• Perform equipment inspections, test and operational checks
• Collect oil, water, wastewater, gas and air samples for analysis
• Investigate mechanical problems, recommend appropriate repair, replacement and enhancement
• Provide assistance and/or direction during major maintenance activities; support, assist and direct the
work of contractors on-site
• Maintain facility logbook highlighting activities and noteworthy events
• Record operating data and maintain operating records including weekly production reports
• Review monthly operating expenses and explain any variance to budget
• Monitor for gas collection system regulatory compliance and maintain compliance records
• Inspect landfill gas system collection system components for mechanical problems and make
• Diagnose and correct adverse gas field and plant conditions and malfunctions
• Perform routine buildings and grounds maintenance and repairs and janitorial tasks
• Maintain spare parts inventory and records
• Maintain filing system for drawings, instruction books and manuals
• Prepare annual operating budget and forecasts
• Implement the facility's Safety Procedures Manual and Job Site Conduct Book
• Perform and record monthly safety audits and inspections as identified in site safety manuals
• Other tasks as assigned
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities*
• Required: A high school diploma or GED and a valid state driver’s license.
• Desired: A two year technical degree (Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics or similar) or a four year science degree (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geology or similar) or an equivalent of work experience to provide for the following:
• Experience with landfill gas to energy industry or similar production
• Experience in gas processing and/or power generation operations
• Knowledge of mechanical, electrical and instrument control systems
• Knowledge of manufacturing equipment such as motors, blowers, controls and pumps
• Ability to perceive and analyze problems, develop solutions and make or recommend sound alternatives
• Experience with budgeting, construction, commercial agreements
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, supervisor, management,
customers, clients and vendors
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Professional demeanor effectively representing DTEBE in various circumstances
• Dedication to safe work practices
• Ability to efficiently handle competing priorities and tasks remaining organized to meet deadlines
• Ability to function within a matrix organizational structure which employees report to both business and
• Basic computer skills; proficient in MS Office applications
• Will be required to work unscheduled overtime
• Will be required to respond to call-outs (plant upset conditions) outside of normal work hours
• May be required to travel to other locations to provide support using her/his personal transportation
- Physical Demands*
The physical demands characterized here epitomize those that must be met by an employee to properly
perform the integral functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
In order to properly perform the integral functions of this job, the employee is routinely required to reach with
hands or arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, feel and smell. The employee must be able to walk on shallow
and steep slopes. Frequently the employee will be required to stand, walk, and sit. It is crucial to the outcome
of job tasks that the employee is able to use hands and fingers to handle and manipulate object as well as to
talk and hear.
The employee in this classification will be required to frequently lift objects of up to 25 pounds in weight.
Occasionally, the employee will have to lift or move objects of up to 50 pounds in weight.
Vision requirements for this position include close, distance and peripheral vision, along with depth perception.
- Working Conditions*
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions,
including wet and/or humid conditions, and extreme cold and/or heat. The employee is regularly exposed to
moving mechanical parts and/or machinery. The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
The employee will routinely operate a motor vehicle and/or ATV style off road vehicle on unimproved terrain.
- DTE Energy is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, national origin, citizenship, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.*
Requisition ID: 18403