DTE Energy Operating Engineer in Tonawanda, New York
Location: Tonawanda, NY
_ GENERAL SUMMARY_
Under the provisions of the Labor Agreement and Local Supplementary Agreements including all DCC Safety Rules and Regulations, Operating Engineers will generally be responsible for operating and performing routine maintenance and repair on all equipment within the powerhouse with the exception of new installations, mechanical and electrical. Operating Engineers will operate and maintain steam boilers and associated equipment, including chillers, compressors, cooling towers, pumps, fans and perform all other work related to their trade as may be required on Utility Assets equipment as directed by the Utility Services Manager (USM) or their designee.__
_ PRINICIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES_
· Safe operation and routine maintenance on all powerhouse utilities production equipment and related systems. The equipment and systems will include steam boilers, hot water generators, chillers, compressors, cooling towers, water treatment equipment and other support systems and ancillary equipment.
· Operating powerhouse equipment to meet the day to day energy demands of the DCC manufacturing facility. This includes the production of steam, chilled water and compressed air at the quantities and specifications required by the manufacturing facility.
· Monitoring of operating parameters and recording operating data, including production rates, fuel usage, electrical usage, pressures, temperatures, vibration indications, alarms and other pertinent information related to the safe operation of the powerhouse equipment.
· Operating Engineers will be required to promptly notify the USM of any unusual, abnormal or potentially unsafe operating conditions and to take action to mitigate any potentially unsafe condition or condition that if otherwise not corrected could result in out of specification energy production.
· Operation of all cooling towers and heat exchangers that support the operation of equipment within the powerhouse.
· Operation and routine maintenance associated with water treatment equipment for boilers, hot water generators, cooling towers and hot and cold water closed loops. These activities will include the routine monitoring of water quality, the addition of water treatment chemicals to ensure the required water quality and the performance of routine maintenance of water treatment equipment including changing filters, adding salt to softeners, etc.
· The de-energization (lock-out/tag-out) of all equipment within the powerhouse that is required to allow the safe performance of maintenance on such equipment.
· Perform routine (planned maintenance) on all powerhouse equipment, including predictive, preventive, and minor corrective maintenance. Operating Engineers will also be required to assist contractors with work that is beyond the capability of the Operating Engineer, including tasks such as code welding, protective calibration, etc.
· The recording and documenting of all maintenance activities that are performed on powerhouse equipment. This may include utilizing a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) to electronically document information and historical data.
· Maintain an adequate supply of spare parts including, belts, hoses, seals, lubricants, sensing devices, gauges, etc. as may be related to their trade in a designated storage area within the powerhouse.
· Perform troubleshooting and correcting problems related to the proper monitoring, control and operation of powerhouse equipment.
· Maintain a clean and orderly work area ensuring that the area is left in an unobstructed and safe condition following the completion of the job.
· Perform work and conduct activities as directed by the USM within their assigned area that pertains to energy conservation, including the repair of leaks, the timely turn-down of lighting and other machinery, etc.
· Shift work is required and employees will be required to perform both operation and routine maintenance of the facility equipment.
_ KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES_
A high school diploma or GED is required along with two years operating centralized chilled water or compressed air systems, a First Class Steam and Refrigeration License is preferred and/or a minimum of Five (5) years of power plant experience in operations and maintenance to provide for the following:
· Knowledge of power plant mechanical and electrical equipment, including motors, pumps, boilers, fluid systems, chemical handling, water treatment systems, waste water treatment, pollution control equipment, AC and DC electrical distribution and control systems, etc. and associated maintenance functions.
· Ability to read and write effectively in English and to do basic mathematics; high school diploma preferred.
· Ability to learn and become proficient in all site specific systems and sub-systems. Complete site-specific written qualification programs, and periodic testing.
· Knowledge of power plant safety, policies and procedures, especially in area such as chemical handling, high-energy systems, confined spaces, incipient fire suppression, first aid, rotating machinery, and heavy equipment.
· Knowledge of and ability to understand fundamental principals related to physics, mathematics, AC & DC electrical theory, heat transfer and fluid flow, thermal dynamics and chemistry.
· Knowledge of chemistry and power plant chemical applications
· Ability to operate valves, switches, controls, keyboards, and other devices associated with power plants.
· Ability to use basic hand tools, portable electric and pneumatic tools, and basic rigging equipment such as winches, hoists and slings.
· Ability to locate, trouble-shoot, and adjust defects in mechanical equipment and/or maintain, install, modify and trouble-shoot plant electrical systems and equipment.
· Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
· Ability to operate and maintain various analytical and test equipment.
DTE Energy is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, national origin, citizenship, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.
Requisition ID: 18782