DTE Energy Safety/Industrial Hygiene Specialist in Detroit, Michigan
Safety/Industrial Hygiene Specialist-10809
The future is bright at DTE Energy! We are the largest electric and gas utility in Michigan with an aspiration to be the best-operated energy company in North America. We are a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Detroit, Michigan with businesses in 26 different states.
DTE Energy’s utility and non-utility businesses are poised for significant growth. We look forward to working with highly motivated and team-oriented individuals to energize our efforts of growing economically and environmentally.
We care for our employees and prioritize their health and safety first. Recently, DTE Energy has been recognized as an outstanding place to work and has received the following accolades:
· Gallup Great Workplace Award for 5 consecutive years
· 7th on Indeed’s annual “50 Best Places to Work” award
· Metropolitan Detroit’s 101 Best and Brightest Companies to work For
· J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Award
· Professional Women’s Magazine/Black EOE Journal “Best of the Best”
· Computerworld’s 100 Best Places to Work in IT
· Best Employers for a Healthy Lifestyle Gold Award
· Detroit Free Press Green Leaders Award
DTE Energy is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, disability, national origin, citizenship, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.
Responsible for providing day-to-day guidance and support for safety and health management within the business unit. Monitors compliance with all applicable governmental regulations and company safety requirements. Uses technical and business-unit specific knowledge to facilitate the development of improvement initiatives regarding safety and industrial hygiene. Assists in identifying root cause of problems and develops recommendations and communicates solutions. Assists business units in incident investigations and the identification of root causes and corrective actions. Performs walk-downs and conducts audits to identify unsafe practices, procedures or conditions.
• Provides subject matter expertise for all safety health and compliance programs for the business units.
• Monitors and coordinates the safety activities of business unit support personnel.
• Recommends process improvements to meet overall requirements of the business unit.
• Assists in developing organizational goals and monitors workflow and corrective action progress toward meeting goals.
• Leads teams and safety committees in improvement initiatives to achieve improvement in all areas.
• Analyzes data for process and organizational improvement.
• Assists in regulatory compliance efforts as they pertain to the business unit.
• Assists in developing safety and industrial hygiene procedures and programs to improve safety and industrial hygiene performance within the assigned business unit.
• Assists the business unit in incident investigations and uses fact based analysis to help determine root causes of safety/IH problems and develops recommendations for appropriate corrective actions.
• Conducts audits to ensure compliance with company policies and regulatory requirements.
• Education and experience requirements can be satisfied through one of the following options:
Bachelors of Science or Associates Degree in Health, Safety, Physical Sciences or related field and three years of related experience in the safety/industrial hygiene field OR Without a degree, a High School Diploma or GED and five years of related experience in the safety/Industrial hygiene field.
• Must have working knowledge of Company safety practices and procedures with a thorough knowledge of safety practices associated with the utility industry and basic knowledge of Federal, State & Local safety, health and medical standards.
• Must have experience in working with safety committees and experience in fostering employee involvement in safety improvement efforts.
• Must have experience in identifying unsafe practices, conditions or procedures.
• Must have experience in performing job safety analysis to identify job specific hazards and the appropriate precautionary measures.
• Must have computer skills sufficient to access and analyze data from the safety tracking systems.
Ability to work various schedules and be on 24 hour/ 7day call out.
Job: Health & Safety
Title: Safety/Industrial Hygiene Specialist
Primary Location: Michigan-Detroit
Requisition ID: 10809